Monday, November 15, 2010

Answered Prayers

My wonderful brother Mitch got diagnosed with leukemia a few years ago. He began his fight for life and never looked back. About a year and a half ago it looked like he was starting to lose his battle. It was a scary time and I asked EVERYONE to pray for him and his family. The doctors decided his only chance was to have a stem cell transplant. It's similar to a bone marrow transplant but not as hard to recover from. The search began for a donor match. We were told that siblings were the best chance to find a match. 1 in 4 usually is a match. well there were 7 chances with all of us, so we were sure at least one of us would be a match. We all went to the hospital to have blood drawn, then waited to hear which of us were going to be able to help our brother. It seemed like it took forever to find out and then we were so disappointed to hear that none of us were a good enough match. They were going to have to search the donor list to see if they could find a match there. It took awhile but FINALLY they came back with 2 matches. They contacted them to see if they were still willing to donate. The waiting was the hardest thing ever!

Again I asked for prayers. It seemed like Mitch was starting to get tired of fighting. We were all getting a bit antsy with all the waiting and waiting.

FINALLY they had everything in place and were ready to do the transplant. It was his last hope of surviving this battle it was scary, his chances for making it through it were slim but if he did not do it his chance were zero.

This was all a year ago. His donor is a total stranger from Australia. Mitch just had his one year check up and

~~~~NO SIGN OF ANY CANCER!!

I had dinner with him the other night and he said there were 10 people that had this transplant around the same time as him and only 3 have survived. I am so thankful for all the prayers, I know they helped make this miracle happen!! I LOVE YOU Mitch.

God Bless this wonderful stranger that selflessly saved my brothers life. I would encourage everyone to become a donor, you could save someones life!!

I LOVE THIS recipe!

PISTACHIO COOL WHIP SALAD

1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant pistachio pudding 1 (9 oz.) container Cool Whip whipped topping 1 (16 oz.) can crushed pineapple, do not drain 1/2 c. miniature marshmallows 1/2 c. chopped pecans With spatula, lightly mix Cool Whip and dry pistachio pudding together. Add remaining ingredients. Must be chilled overnight.

1 comment:

Doran & Jody said...

So good to hear Linda!!