I've been thinking about how a couple's Love and Commitment evolves through the years. Here is how I view this subject.
It's funny that when I see my sweet husband shift his weight somewhat in his chair and rub his forehead I know that his knees are particularly bad that day. Someone else probably would not know, but I do. I have come to know each movement, each look, and each different tone of his voice.
The other day I found myself sitting quietly gazing at the man I have been married to for almost 29 years and suddenly noticed the wrinkles that are beginning to appear on his face and the gray in his beard. He turned and glanced in my direction, I had to smile when I saw those, oh so familiar baby blue eyes. Every little thing about him reminds me all over again why I would have NEVER chosen to be with anyone else.
In this world of instant gratification, instant marriages, instant divorces - instant everything you can possibly imagine for that matter - Here right beside me, is proof that time is the ultimate test of love.
There are a bazillion ways for couples to show their love to each other, but it takes time to learn how to love each other in the most meaningful ways. The commercialized, romanticized versions of love are far different from the reality of our everyday lives.
Simple words accompanied by meaningful acts of love for me have replaced those early tokens of affection and I love it! Those that have been married for some time understand this. While store bought gifts are lovely and still welcome, it's the little things. the everyday nuances that we appreciate and absorb at a different, more soulful level. We should pay attention and acknowledge these special moments because they need to be treasured and stored in our memories as the true state of our relationship.
Those simple words and meaningful acts take on significant value and represent communication at it's deepest level. Over time, we see how our other half handles countless challenges we experience over the years and how our love has matured and grown.
I can recall countless times Barney has shown selfless, pure acts of kindness and love that have moved me beyond what anything else ever could. This is what love represents to me now. Today, as I contemplate how to express my love to the man I have admired and adored, the man I have called my husband for so many years, the man who asks for nothing yet gives so much. There are just no words other than, the promise to honor and cherish all his remarkable qualities that have kept me at his side for so long!
Love you Barn!
Love you Barn!
1 comment:
Linda,
you are a beautiful writer!
I love this post :)
~Diane
Post a Comment