Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Letter to my Dad

Golden Junior Eyre August 11, 1925 - December 2, 2003 Dad Wow! It has been 6 years today since you passed; I can hardly believe how fast time goes by. I think of you every single day. Sometimes it's just a fleeting thought other times I sit awhile and think about all the treasured memories I have of you. I miss your quick whit and gentle way. I miss your laugh, your smile and, even your grumble. The last year you were with us, I used to laugh and tell Barney that you had called me 3 times at work to tell me the same thing. Some days I was annoyed by it.....now....what I wouldn't give to hear you tell me that the road between our houses went both ways and that you couldn't believe I hadn't been down to see you in weeks even though I had been there the day before. I have so many great memories of growing up in our big family. Every one of them gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling deep within. You were a fantastic dad! I could not ask for a better family. My girls think of you often as well. I see a glimpse of you in them now and then. Aubrey is a wonderful mother. I love watching her with Dylan. She has your love of cooking, always trying out new recipes. I'm so proud of the woman she has become. Kelly has your giving nature...There is nothing she wouldn't do to help someone in need even total strangers. She is going to school and doing very well. I'm so proud of the hard work she is putting in. Carson has your quick whit...always has a comeback and is always such a crack up! I am very proud of the loving mother she has become. She talks about you often. The memories she has of your last summer will be with her forever. She is so thankful to have had that special one on one time with you. She remembers every story you told her and even retells them now and then. I found a wonderful poem to sum up my feelings about a great man My Dad On this day we take the time To turn our thoughts to dad Thank him for the home he gave For all the things we had We think about the fleeting years Too quickly, gone for good It seems like only yesterday I’d go back if I could A time when dad was always there No matter what the weather Always strong when things went wrong He held our lives together My life has been so very full He taught me how to give In his firm and steadfast way He taught me how to live Dad dwells amongst the angels now He left us much too soon He glides across a golden field Above the harvest moon I see him in the fields of grass He rides upon the wind And when my path is beaten down He picks me up again Thanks for sharing so many wonderful memories with me and my family. I have no doubt that you and mom are up there keeping watch over all of us. I can still feel the loving touch to my heart when I need you and your gentle nudges when there is something I should be doing that I'm not. I thank God every day that you were my dad!!! I Love you dearly and miss you like crazy!! Linda

2 comments:

aub said...

9:30 in the morning annnnd I am in tears, Thanks mom. :P



I can't believe it has been 6 years already... I doesn't seem like its been that long at all.. I miss him so much. The last thing I remember was saying my goodbye to him, And I couldn't do it alone so Kelly went in with me and she sat on the bed next to him and I sat in the chair next to him and I grabbed his hand, And I remember telling him that I loved him and that it was ok for him to go, That he didn't have to worry about you we would all stick together and be taken care of, and I remember when I was finished, He squeezed my hand.. So I knew he had heard me I knew that Grandpa was still in there.


:) We weren't as close to grandpa as I wish we were growing up but that summer spending time with him was something that I will always remember, I remember this one time I was taking Carson up there to drop her off, and we were sitting at the table and I was about to leave and grandpa was in the bathroom.. And carson wrapped her legs around my ankle and whispered don't leave yet!! and I said I need to and somehow grandpa heard us and he yelled out from the bathroom if you're going to whisper you better go out to the road to do it cause there is no whispering allowed in this house!! haha, I still don't know how he heard us but he did.. :) I just wish I knew then what I know now and maybe spent a little more time there than I had. He really did love having us around.

Linda said...

Aubrey, He did love having you around. I am so thankfull you girls had that summer!!

Love you!!