Thursday, December 2, 2010

I Miss Him!!


I can't believe it has been 7 years since I told you goodbye. It seems as if it were yesterday. I remember you resting peacefully on that small bed, breathing easier than you had in years.

The Doctors and Nurses with hospice were so wonderful and talked to us about the dying process. In a strange way it helped more than I ever would have thought. They explained how each bodily function would shut down one by one and that hearing was one of the last things to go. They said it might help if we all took a moment to tell this great man goodbye and those loved ones that couldn't be there should be called and we were to hold the phone to dads ear so that everyone could have the opportunity to say goodbye and let him know it was ok for him to go.
When it was my turn I sat in the chair next to him holding his hand, I leaned down, kissed him on the cheek. I weeped as I told my hero one last time how much I loved him and how badly I would miss him. I assured him I would be alright. That my wonderful husband would be my rock and get me through the tough spots. I told him I would take care of my girls.  I knew it was time for him to join the love of his life. My mom was there, I felt her and knew she was waiting patiently for him and it was ok. With one last kiss I made my way out of the room. It was one of the hardest goodbyes I've ever gone through. I was trying so hard not to be selfish. He had suffered far to long. I knew all of that in my head but my heart ached for MORE TIME!!. It wasn't long before everyone that could get there had their turn to say goodbye and the phone calls had been made.

 Within minutes of the last goodbye my dad peacefully joined my mom and sister. 
As sad as it was, it was one of the most incredibly beautiful moments I have ever witnessed. He was totally surrounded with love as he slipped away.
I miss him so damn much and still cry sometimes but I do know that I will see him again one day. Until then I still feel him when I need him. He is forever in my heart!!

God Bless my daddy, take good care of him, my beautiful mom and sister.

Until we meet again Dad
May you rest in peace

1 comment:

Doran & Jody said...

Oh sigh...I am missing my daddy too.