Sunday, June 20, 2010

To My Dad on Father's Day

Dad,
Where do I even start? I guess I will start by saying the first two things that come to mind. Thank you and I love you.
You are, without a doubt, the greatest man I have ever known. I cannot think of a single man that can compare to you. You have been everything as a dad that a daughter could ever want or need. You were kind and loving to me, providing for my all needs as well as many of my wants.
Thank you for being so good to mom. You always loved her faithfully, even when times were hard. I know how to love my husband now because you and mom showed me how for all those years. How does a young woman even know how to be married or how to love her husband without the kind of example I had in you?
Thank you for being there. You were always there for me when I needed you. You worked so hard all those years to give us a good life. The constant presence in my life that I needed so bad, and still need now. I know you are still there for me if I need you even though I can’t see you. I feel your gentle touch and feel the comfort of your love.
I am so sorry that you had to suffer the last several years of your life. I know it was even more difficult than I could ever dream, but even as you struggled for every breath you did everything you could to be there for me. Thank you for fighting to stay with us for so long. You could have given up so many times, but your love for your children, and your grandchildren made you stay here and fight a little longer. I wanted you to keep fighting because I still needed you and couldn’t handle the thought of not having you to lean on like I did so many times but, I knew your journey here was finished and it was time for you to join mom and Jeanette again. It was so hard to say goodbye to my hero but I’m also thankful I was given that opportunity because it was much harder letting go when I didn’t get to say goodbye to mom.
Finally, on this Father’s Day, I want you to know how much I still need you. I could not imagine a world without Golden Eyre; I know that you live on in my heart and I’m so thankful for that. I always think about you and feel loved, secure, safe, and cared for. You are the one I called for advice, for wisdom, and for encouragement. The thought of not being able to see you or pick up the phone and hear your voice made me afraid. What would I do without you? Who would I be without you?
You chose to be a dad to me. Somehow by God’s grace, you were everything I ever needed. You were perfect, the perfect dad, my friend, and my hero. I love you more today than I ever have. Happy Father’s Day, dad Love,
Linda

1 comment:

Susan said...

After the first couple of lines, the tears were flowing. So hard when you miss someone so special.